[argobots-discuss] Removed Functions in Argobots 1.0

Shintaro Iwasaki siwasaki at anl.gov
Mon Mar 23 17:53:35 CDT 2020

Dear Argobots Users and Developers,

Hello. Finally, we will release Argobots 1.0 in a few weeks. Argobots 1.0
will
not support the following deprecated functions and constants:

retain/release: (https://github.com/pmodels/argobots/pull/138)
  ABT_thread_retain(), ABT_thread_release(), ABT_task_retain(), and
  ABT_task_release().

Reason: fundamentally, there is no good way to fix bugs in these functions
without sacrificing performance.

xstream: (https://github.com/pmodels/argobots/pull/147)
  ABT_xstream_start(), ABT_XSTREAM_STATE_CREATED,
and ABT_XSTREAM_STATE_READY

Reason: CREATED and READY states are merged to RUNNING. ABT_xstream_start(),
which takes a READY execution stream, becomes useless.

event: (https://github.com/pmodels/argobots/pull/144)
  ABT_event_add_callback(), ABT_event_del_callback(),
ABT_event_prof_start(),
  ABT_event_prof_stop(), ABT_event_prof_publish(), ...

Reason: event features (energy-efficient scheduling and scheduler profiling)
should not be integrated into Argobots; they should be implemented on top
of it.

Please check whether your programs are using them. If these functions are
really
necessary, please let us know so that we can offer alternative solutions or
revert these changes.

Please report it by writing a comment at the following
(https://github.com/pmodels/argobots/issues/156) or reply to this mail.

I am deeply sorry for already merging these changes to the master branch.
We
will inform you of API changes ahead of time. If you have any questions,
please
feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Shintaro Iwasaki