[argobots-discuss] condition variable and rwlock

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 23 12:25:53 CDT 2021

On 7/23/21 11:53 AM, Iwasaki, Shintaro via discuss wrote:
> Hi Matthieu,
>
> By default, ABT_rwlock() and ABT_mutex() waits in a busy-yield loop
> (keeps yielding until a flag is set). If that configuration is set,
> waiters will suspend, not yield.

I'm confused :)

We use ABT_SCHED_BASIC_WAIT and ABT_POOL_FIFO_WAIT by default in Mochi
(Margo).  Even so, if the default (simple) mutex is busy-yielding, that
will effectively become a busy spin if the ES has no other units to
execute, right?

If so, that wasn't our intention.  I thought that the ES would idle
while trying to acquire an abt mutex if no other ULTs were runnable.  We
might need to do some testing to better understand what's going on there.

thanks,

-Phil