[argobots-discuss] modifying scheduler event frequency?

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 16:01:40 CDT 2021

On 4/14/21 4:55 PM, Iwasaki, Shintaro wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks. I can understand a bigger picture.
>
> > ABT_info_print_thread_stacks_in_pool()
> I hope it works. Note that print_thread_stacks_in_pool() is not
> async-signal safe (ABT_info_trigger_print_all_thread_stacks() is an
> exception), so please don't call it in a signal handler.

Ok, no problem.  We don't do much via signals in Mochi (almost all of
our control capabilities are triggered via RPCs that launch ULTs to do
the work).

> > We use argobots almost exclusively with spack at this point.
> Many HPC users use Spack to build dependent libraries. I will add some
> debug options (including libunwind, stack guard, ...) as well as other
> major options to the Spack Argobots package. We are also implementing
> an mprotect-based stack guard option (which is not in Argobots 1.1,
> though).
>
> Overall, please give us a week or so in total.
>
> There is large room for improvement of the debugging/profiling capability.
> If you have any questions, requests, and/or suggestions, please feel
> free to tell us.

Sounds great!  Debuggability seems to be the next frontier for our
project, so we'll probably be experimenting with more of these
capabilities as time goes on.  It's taken a little while for us to
recognize which design/debugging patterns would be most useful.

thanks,

-Phil