[argobots-discuss] scheduling with priority for resumed ULTs

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 7 16:40:50 CDT 2020

Hi all,

I thought this question may be of general interest so I am asking on the mailing list.

My understanding is that the default pool/scheduler combination uses FIFO ordering.  Suppose we wanted to try a slight variation: FIFO ordering, but with resumed ULTs always taking priority over new ULTs that have not yet begun execution.

The use case for this would be for a data service to expedite requests that are already in progress (and were suspended while waiting on disk or network activity) to try to get them out of the system before starting to process new requests, assuming that there is work available in either category.  We create a new ULT for every incoming request.  Under heavy client process load it is plausible that the final step(s) of servicing an existing request could be delayed behind newly incoming requests, but we haven't empirically confirmed yet.

What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?  I think I can find a way to do it, but it probably would not be the cleverest solution 🙂

FWIW we usually use ABT_POOL_FIFO_WAIT and ABT_SCHED_BASIC_WAIT rather than the default pool and scheduler, but I don't think that should change anything.  They are based on the default pool and scheduler and only differ in terms of their idle behavior.

thanks!
-Phil