[argobots-discuss] scheduling with priority for resumed ULTs

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 13 13:58:41 CDT 2020

Apparently when I said "next week" what I really meant was "next month" 🙂

Anyhow, here is a slightly cleaned up version integrated into an experimental branch of margo for reference:

https://xgitlab.cels.anl.gov/sds/margo/-/merge_requests/29

I made one functional change, which was to turn the flag indicating if a unit had been executed or not into a counter.  This was because I realized that I didn't want persistent (forever running) ULTs to always get a priority boost in the Margo case.  We have at least one ULT running that drives Mercury progress, and sometimes extra ones to monitor various performance metrics.  This version hacks around this by only putting things in the high priority queue in the pool if they have been executed between 1 and THRESHOLD number of times.

The code still needs to be cleaned up a little more, but it's sufficient for testing in the above form.  Unfortunately it didn't make any measurable difference for a pet performance tuning problem I've been working on (I believe it has other limiting factors).  We have a mechanism to swap this build in and out in spack configurations now, though, so we'll be able to try it in some other scenarios in the future.

Thanks again for the example code!

thanks,
-Phil